My experience working within other organizations. View this résumé in PDF format.
Summary of qualifications
An accomplished software engineering manager and technical lead with lifecycle development experience in lifestyle apps, analytical software, video applications, object oriented frameworks, and visual modeling tools for mobile and desktop platforms.
- Designed and implemented rich direct manipulation user interfaces.
- Experienced on multiple platforms: iOS, macOS, Windows and Unix.
- Experienced with Swift, Objective-C and C++, object oriented design, and frameworks design.
- An effective team player, individual contributor, coach, mentor, leader, planner, and communicator.
- Delivers high quality results on time, consistently exceeding customer expectations.
2005 - present MathWorks, Inc., Natick, Massachusetts
Manager, Platform Evolution
Built and managed a team providing integration and support for mobile, Windows, Mac OS X and Linux platforms. Evangelized platform technologies and tools internally, and coached developers on software development and user experience best practices.
- Researched and developed iOS, Android and ARM Linux foundations in C++ and Swift.
- Instigated wide adoption of CppMicroServices, a service-oriented architecture for pluggable and declarative extensibility in products.
- Advocated for support for new Windows and OS X integration features.
- Initiated Mac birds of a feather to foster knowledge sharing across the organization. Created and developed Mac training classes.
- Managed the development of automatically generated Xcode projects and an interactive workspace generator to increase developer efficiency and internal Mac adoption.
- Led efforts to eliminate X11 on the Mac platform, and to conform products to the Apple HI Guidelines.
2009 - present Flat Earth Studio LLC, Southborough, Massachusetts
Co-Founder, President, CEO, Lead Developer Ninja
Designed, licensed content for, released and maintained more than a handful of free and paid lifestyle mobile apps for the iPhone and iPad in the iOS App Store.
- Awarded App Store Staff Selection in 2009 and 2011.
- Leveraged UIKit, StoreKit, CoreMotion, QuartzCore, Core Data, CloudKit, CoreGraphics, AVFoundation, XCTest, Git, and more.
- Localized into 10 languages.
- Integrated Swift, Objective-C and C++; leveraged Xcode Server for continuous integration.
1998 - 2005 Media 100 Inc., Marlboro, Massachusetts
Principal Software Engineer
Provided software engineering and leadership for several major hardware-based video editing application releases; coordinated with customers, writers, quality assurance, and support to produce Emmy-award winning products.
- Provided engineering and leadership for the Media 100 HD product for Mac OS X, a non-linear video editing system that mixes multiple resolutions.
- Co-managed, planned and developed the 844/X video compositing system version 2 and 3 in C++ and MFC, StingRay and stl for Windows XP.
- Planned, engineered, and managed the Media 100 v6 and v7 development, balancing new features for existing & new customers.
- Improved the quality of the legacy C++ code base, resulting in fewer support calls, greater reliability, and new product opportunities.
- Developed support for After Effects software filter plug-ins in 844/X, and worked with 3rd party plug-in developers on integration.
- Created XML interactive Internet streaming media features.
- Added AppleScript automation support for key customers.
1997 - 1998 Videonics Inc., Campbell, California
Senior Software Architect
Designed and implemented features for Effetto Pronto, a QuickTime-based C++ multimedia 3D effects composition editor applications for a video effects card. Developed reputation for the ability to rapidly fix complex product defects.
1996 - 1997 Apple Inc., Cupertino, California
Developed MacApp release 13 and Apple Class Suites, C++ frameworks for Mac OS.
- Refactored key core MacApp components into class suites and applied modern language features. Designed framework conversion and updating strategies for the community of external developers.
- Initiated and completed a new release of the MacApp Ad Lib visual view editor.
- Presented at the 1997 Apple Worldwide Developer's Conference, and sponsored two 3-day Coding Kitchens in Cupertino and Munich, Germany.
1991 - 1996 Lumina Decision Systems Inc., Los Gatos, California
Co-Founder, Director of Software Development
Shepherded a Unix decision analysis research tool to become to the commercial software product Analytica, for Macintosh and Windows95/NT.
- Designed and implemented the hierarchical influence diagram user interface, muilti-dimensional array browser and editor, graphing engine and extensions.
- Led three Early Adopter releases to generate customer feedback.
- Grew the company from 2 employees to 15, managing engineering efforts including Unix and Windows vertical market opportunities.
- Co-wrote the original user guide and tutorial.
- Ported code between Mac, Windows and UNIX platforms, and translated from Object Pascal to C++.
2010 Technical reviewer, “Designing the iPhone User Experience.”
Technical reviewer for “Designing the iPhone User Experience” by Suzanne Ginsberg, Addison-Wesley.
1994 - 1996 MacApp2PPC Developer's Cooperative, via the Internet.
Organized developers to port MacApp 2 to PowerPC, making more PowerPC-native applications available.
- Sponsored a three day “coding kitchen” which included Apple Chief Scientist Larry Tesler.
- Shipped MacApp2PPC for Metrowerks CodeWarrior CD's. Wrote articles for MacTech Magazine.
1984 - 1988 Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Focus on Manufacturing, Design, and Computation